Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Despicable Me by
Call Number: 791.43 Des2010
Publication Date: 2010
Gru delights in all things wicked. Surrounded by an army of tireless little yellow minions, and armed with his arsenal of shrink rays, freeze rays, and battle-ready vehicles for land and air, he vanquishes all who stand in his way. Until the day he encounters the immense will of three little orphaned girls who look at him and see something that no one else has ever seen: a potential dad.
- The movie was entirely animated in the French studio. 'Mac Guff' in Paris.
- Steve Carell experimented with Gru's voice until he came up with one that sounded "somewhere between Ricardo Montalban and Bela Lugosi."
- The directors wrote a functioning language for the gibberish the minions speak throughout the film - "minion-eise".
- Teen star Miranda Cosgrove, who voices orphan sister Margo in the movie, is better known to tweenie audiences as Carly Shay in the hit TV programme iCarly.
- Russell Brand based the character of mad scientist Dr Nefario on Sexy Beast and Gangs of New York star Ray Winstone...but "mellower".
- The idea for Despicable Me came from Barcelona-born Spanish animator Sergio Pablos, who had worked on disney films The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Tarzan and Treasure Planet.
- When Gru is seen entering the Bank of Evil, the subtitle "Formerly Lehman Brothers" can be seen over the door.
- The number on Gru's ticket for Swan Lake - while he is orbiting the moon - 072069. July 20 1969 is the date of first moon landing, which Gru is seen watching in flashbacks.
- Gru discovers a doll's head in his bed, parodying the famous scene in The Godfather where Jack Woltz sees the head of one of his prize horses on his pillow.
- Soundtrack composer Hans Zimmer has also written the scores for The Lion King, Gladiator,Pirates of the Caribbean, The Dark Knight and Inception.
- Julie Andrews, who voiced Gru's mother Marlena, has also provided the vocal talent for Shrekas Queen Lillian and Enchanted as the narrator.
- It's the first time that Russell Brand - famous for playing rock star Aldous Snow in Get Him To The Greek - has provided his voice for a character.
- Co-director Chris Renaud was nominated for an Academy Award for the 2006 animated short No Time for Nuts, which featured the character Scrat from the Ice Age films.
- Following the movie's box office success, the studio has already started work on a sequel.
- In August the film crossed the $200m mark, becoming the first Universal film to reach the milestone since 2007's The Bourne Ultimatum.
- The song You Should Be Dancing, which closes the film, was a hit for the Bee Gees in 1976 and launched their celebrated disco period.
Facts from: http://skymovies.sky.com/despicable-me/twenty-despicable-facts